Friday, March 29, 2013

...my girls

 

My life has changed so much in one year
never in my life thought I would have a horse, let alone two.
don't know who rescued who
 all I know is I am a better person for having them in my life
I acquired Fiona last winter-
a sad story
and Bella just naturally found her way into my life last fall when
 her then owner wanted to downsize her herd.

Every day they greet me at the gate and follow me around in the pasture
I have to pinch myself.


 
 happy to be out of their pasture
 tied up to the hitching post
 blankets off and being groomed
 


Bella  just turned 6 on March 9th
 


Frisians do not stop growing until they are 7 years old
Bella is about 1400 lbs
a big animal with a big heart
 so trusting and the sweetest horse ever
~~~
Frisians are very special
this was the horse  the knights were gifted as their horse once knighted

In early 1900 Frisians were almost extinct
originally from Holland
they were used as war horses
 hence so many were killed during 1st world war pulling the canons
 There were only 3 stallions left.
They have managed to breed them successfully
but they are still very rare

I plan on breeding them both in 2015
 


Like sisters...
where one goes - so the other
Fiona is the boss
 Bella accepts or gets a kick in the ......!
They eat together
 sleep together
I am very happy for Fiona
who was once alone.
 


Fiona & Bella are what's considered "green"
they only have 1 year of riding under their belt
 so the more they are ridden and worked
 the better
...and according to my "lovely" trainer
that is not going to be an issue for me
 since apparently she wants me to ride them 2 hrs. a day .....each
 
that only adds up to 4 hours a day!
 
 

Luther & Lily play a little game of chase
 

Fiona will be 7 years - June 13th
she is half Frisian & half Quarter horse
 which makes here a Frisian sport horse
she is super fast and very eager to please

 

they still have winter coats
and are in the process of shedding
I am usually covered from head to toe in black hair


finally the arena is snow-free
but of course this is Montana and this could change over night
 

Foghorn & chef are dragging the arena- getting it prepped


Eager to get to work again...them and me.
 to build on what we did last year
 applying everything I learned from Buck this fall


and riding outside again.

I couldn't be any luckier!

 
Riding:  The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. 
~Author Unknown




10 comments:

  1. You make me want to own a horse! Such a beautiful loving tribute to your babies. They were destined to be in your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are so beautiful. Enjoy every moment with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! Love love love love.
    I am so living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are beauties! my daughter rides (hunter jumper) and it is so lovely to watch her flying around, one with the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful horses. I too am living vicariously through your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frisian are beautiful big horses!
    They are lucky to be with you!

    ps. Do you like to join?
    http://purephotoworkshop.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like magic. You are living my little girl dream! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful horses, they come from the part of the netherlands where i was born. Started following your blog because of your great pictures of the mountains. I been visiting Canada and a part of Montana last September and fell in love with the great mountain few,s. Next time we are visiting are family and friends over there , we stop by at your base camp cafe.
    Greetings from Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you all were meant for each other. I loved hearing their story. And of course the beautiful images are a given.

    ReplyDelete

May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless all who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always touch your shoulder.

~ Cherokee Prayer Blessing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
designed with love by beautiful dawn designs