Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Yarnalong- and an extarordinary weekend.


I have had extra ordinary weekend. My uncle and cousin came to visit me from Norway- it's been 2 decades since I saw them both.
 Living in America I feel such a sense of isolation from my family and Norway.

Some days I feel as if a modern day homesteader...trying to find my way in Montana without any relatives.
I have no brothers or sisters ...so every little bit of family counts for me.
These past few days has filled my heart and my soul.
We are already planning a trip to Norway next July to spend time with the clan.
While Norway was my home
 Montana is my home.

Timely that I am reading Giants of the Earth  by Ole Rolvaag
 I couldn't get in Norwegian so reading it in English-
 never the less it is a wonderful saga of a family homesteading in America from Norland, Norway in the 1800's

A women once said the book had changed her life..
well... with reading this and seeing my family it has certainly changed my perspective.

I am knitting a sock- a just a simple sock  " Wendy toe up "...a favorite around here.

Joining Ginny for yarn along.

10 comments:

  1. It is so very nice that you have had family visiting Camilla and that next year you will visit your home country. I don't have any extended family here either so I do understand that isolation.
    Very pretty yarn you are using for your socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine being so far from family. I don't see mine regularly, but I know they are near enough to visit. I may need to try that sock pattern. My husband is needing some socks. What yarn are you using? Looks a bit different from the pastels you talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, I am using a yarn from Knitpicks...like the green.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy for you that you have had not only your mom but other family visiting! A planned trip for next year sounds like something you can look forward to! Love your sock yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No brothers and sisters for me, either---so I know what you mean about "family"--no matter how extended that may be! I'm blessed to be at the beach right now with my two children and their families---all 13 of us. Special.

    Love the sock yarn!!! Giants in the Earth---never read that one. Must look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, do I hear you. It is a good thing that you have your hubby and children to surround you in your now place. Family and visiting is what it is all about! Montana the way you do it is absolutely wonderful. I am glad for you that you claim it as your own.
    Beauty inside and out, that is what I think.(inside you)

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. how wonderful that your family came to visit you! and how lovely too that you are planning a trip back to norway, will the whole family go? i would love to read that book (i like your vintage copy) and will start looking for it now. my grandparents were scandinavian, norwegian and swedish. they moved from norway to minnesota. i can't wait to visit that part of the world too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little bits of home are always such a treat, aren't they? The story in your book sounds intriguing, and I'm in love with the bright, cheerful colors in your sock yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special visit...
    I love Yarn Cakes, yummmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless all who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always touch your shoulder.

~ Cherokee Prayer Blessing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
designed with love by beautiful dawn designs